Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day One of the Job...

Day one was a success! I had my first day of work yesterday with ESP. It didn't even feel quite like a "job"...I had fun! Sure, I know it will probably start to drag on and on eventually, but I hope that doesn't happen for a long time!

The assistant site director showed me the ropes yesterday. I'm a very happy teacher of eleven first graders- eight boys and three girls. I'm trying very hard not to play favorites, but one little boy has already stolen my heart.

Many of the children who participate in ESP come from some rough home situations. I'm learning that many of the kids just need stability, structure, and love since they're not always getting that at home.

Overall, I love my job. I worked til about 5:45 yesterday. I'll work from 2 to around 5:30 until Thursday, and then my schedule will change. Luckily, my experience in babysitting has prepared me for lonnnng hours with children and not ever getting to sit down! I'm used to working with the pre-k/kindergarten age group, so first grade will be a different sort of challenge for me, but I'm excited about it!

So I got off work and I was EXHAUSTED but I went over to Stephen's because it's Monday and that means its the Bachelorette! And since I don't have cable...well, I have to watch it somewhere. But when I got there I saw my mom's facebook status and learned that I apparently made the Dean's List!

And some even bigger news...

Drumroll please...


STEPHEN GOT THE PROMOTION! :)

He will be transferring schools soon within ESP to begin working on the administrative staff at another school. The site director called him shortly after I got to his house (and while he was in the bathroom) and told him he nailed the interview and offered him the position to start immediately! He'll be working longer hours and making more money.

That means we'll no longer be working together at the same school. As much as I love him, this is definitely a blessing! Trust me...it's almost torturous to hear his voice on the walkie-talkie and not reply back, "Mr. Hamby, I love you! 10-4!" And he's already there with his class when I get there and I just want to run and hug him...but I can't (it doesn't help that his class tells him that he should date me...funny how much kids perceive things). But really this is just a blessing for both of us and I'm very excited for him! He has worked extremely hard to get to this position!

Anyways, it was a very productive, successful day. I'm excited about day two!

No comments:

Post a Comment