Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rules, and the Kids Who Break Them

Well...wow. That's all I can really say about my day today. Pure torture would also be two words that fit very nicely. I'm not sure if the teachers fed their children chocolate and soda before they came to ESP today or what, but wild doesn't even begin to describe the way my class was acting today. I got onto all (there are 10) but one of them, and that particular child got rewarded for being the only thing that helped me maintain my sanity. She was just under the impression that she was getting out of the treasure box for following directions.

I wouldn't quite call myself a strict teacher. I have rules, but I also understand that these kids are not in school while I'm with them. They have already been in school for seven hours and they need some time to unwind. More so, I understand that they have been cooped up inside all day due to the unbearable heat.

But, I do have rules.

1. Do NOT talk when the teacher (me or any other teacher) is talking.
2. Do not touch items in the classroom that do not belong to you.
3. In line: walk with your hands by your side or giving yourself a hug, and keep a bubble in your mouth.
4. If I am sending you to Mrs. Brown or Mr. Steward to serve a time-out up front, do not fling yourself on the floor and cause a huge scene. I will be even more mad when I have to drag you down to the front desk myself.
5. Do not get out of your seat unless you have permission.
6. Use inside voices in the classroom.

Only six rules! Just six! But here's how my day went:

Child #1: Another girl accidentally knocked into her at snacktime and orange juice spilled all over her clothes. Being upset is understandable. I grabbed paper towels and we attempted to dry her off as best we could possible. One hour later, she is still wailing about her "wet" (in quotations because they were nearly dry at this point) clothing and how mad she is at the other girl. She sits in front of the rest of the class and cries...and cries...and cries. When I send her up front (because this distraction is getting ridiculous) she causes an even bigger scene and starts hitting things. Therefore, I escorted her to the front myself.

Child #2: I'm almost certain this child has severe A.D.D. Now, this kid is a sweetheart. Really and truly, he is a precious kid, and today was just a bad day, I'm sure (well, hoping). Today, while I was scolding another child, he wrapped himself up in a chair with a cord from a CD player. After untangling him, he then ran around and grabbed things out the teacher's cubbies and started throwing them around the room. He attempted to stab other children with crayons (luckily not pencils)! This kind of behavior resulted in him holding my hand wherever I went the rest of the afternoon. The only place he was allowed to go alone was to the restroom, for obvious reasons.

Child #3: One of those children who enjoys imitating other children, particularly kids who are causing problems. This sweet little girl decided to imitate everything child #2 did. Now seriously, this job is the best form of birth control out there. Just go back and re-read everything about child #2, and apply it to child #3. And yes, I have two hands and two feet and I'm supposed to tend to all of these children. My second hand was then given to this child and she held my hand wherever I went.

My other seven munchkins were pretty good. Easily distracted, due to 1-3, but good, nonetheless. We are having problems following directions when we enter the classroom (go directly to the rug, do not sit at the desks), but that's been our only big problem as a whole.

I love my kids. I really, really do. I think they all hold such amazing potential to be great and do great things. I know they're young, but I also know that they are a lot smarter than they allow themselves to be. But I know a lot of these kids need structure, and it's my job to provide that. So, once again, I will remember Romans 5:



And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;
and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts 
 through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
-Romans 5: 3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment