I have an interesting job. I have a job that makes me be responsible, watchful, and careful in everything I do and say. I have a job where adults trust me with their most prized, precious possessions. These possessions are fragile, easily breakable, and extremely valuable.
I work with kids.
I work with kids.
Every Monday through Friday, twenty-three sets of parents entrust their small first-graders into my hands. Oh of course, they also entrust them into the hands of six other staff members. But nevertheless, it is a responsibility, and it is a big one. I’ve learned some major life lessons working with these kids. These kids have taught me what it’s like to take care of someone, to worry about them, and, in the hours they are with me, treat them as if they’re mine.
My job has taught me:
…that children are like parrots. Everything you say will most likely be repeated. Rule #1…watch what you say. Even words like “dumb” or “butt” can be considered cuss words in the eyes of these children. If you don’t want them repeating things you say to their parents, then just don’t say it.
My job has taught me:
…that children are like parrots. Everything you say will most likely be repeated. Rule #1…watch what you say. Even words like “dumb” or “butt” can be considered cuss words in the eyes of these children. If you don’t want them repeating things you say to their parents, then just don’t say it.
…that children lose teeth around first and second grade and quite frankly, it’s disgusting. My job has taught me that dentistry is nowhere in my near future. At all. I almost passed out on the playground a few weeks ago when one of the second graders lost her tooth.
…to be respectful to my own teachers. I understand now what it’s like to control a class of unruly students. I understand that college is different, but really, it’s not. I’m about 15 years older than my students, and many of my professors are or have been about 15-20 years older than me. I know what it feels like when your class is unfocused or not paying attention. I still have a tendency to pull my phone out or check my facebook, but I understand the importance of giving my teachers my attention.
…to be protective. I will defend the kids at my school. Do not insult them, do not insult their families. Do not judge them by their race, their gender, their religion, or socioeconomic status. If you insult them, you will insult me.
…that I have the weakest stomach. Kids vomiting around me is not pleasant. Apparently I turn green when children start puking. We’ve learned this twice in just the past week alone. When a kids pukes, I instantly run toward the restroom myself.
…to love patiently. These kids are hard to love. I don’t WANT to love them half the time. In fact, I don’t want to LIKE them half the time. Stephen could tell you how much I gripe each day about not wanting to go to work. These kids test my patience like no other. There have been days that I’ve gotten a migraine within five minutes of being with them. I’m learning to be patient, and to love them no matter what.
…to love patiently. These kids are hard to love. I don’t WANT to love them half the time. In fact, I don’t want to LIKE them half the time. Stephen could tell you how much I gripe each day about not wanting to go to work. These kids test my patience like no other. There have been days that I’ve gotten a migraine within five minutes of being with them. I’m learning to be patient, and to love them no matter what.
…that it’s the little moments I should cherish. My favorite thing about my job is when something finally clicks with a kid. Maybe it’s a concept that we’ve been working on for a few weeks . Maybe a word he/she has been learning to spell. Or maybe it’s finally following a rule that has been drilled into his/her head since day one. Those are the moments that make me smile, breathe a sigh of relief, and just laugh, thinking that I’m actually doing something worthwhile.
…that caffeine is sometimes just going to be your best friend on those 5:45-8 am/2-6 pm days.
No comments:
Post a Comment