Thursday, January 7, 2010

You are a MASTERPIECE.

"Oh yes, You shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God--You're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration--what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before You, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day."
-Psalm 139: 13-16 (The Message)

An artist's greatest creation is his masterpiece. For God, His greatest creation was creating His people, you and me. We are His masterpiece, created in His own image for His glory and renown.

This is where my vision, that has been reaffirmed to me more and more these past few days, comes into play. Well, correction...this is what I believe is God's vision and plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11). When I fell in love with journalism and the media, I had no earthly idea what I was getting myself into. To be honest, I still don't have any clue. But I know God has given me a passion for writing, and I know He has opened my heart to being a leader and role model for pre-teen and teenage girls.

For a few years now, I have had this desire to one day own my own magazine for teenage girls, ages 13-18, roughly the ages that girls are starting and finishing high school. I am not a fan of the typical "teen magazines," that teach girls about birth control, how to catch the "hottest guy in school," or "which lip gloss is the most seductive."

Honestly...who really wants to read that?

And this is where my vision comes in: a magazine that teaches girls that they are beautiful the way God made them, because they were created in God's own image. A magazine that doesn't preach birth control and "great sex tips," but tells girls to stay pure and pray for their future husband, wherever he may be. A magazine that yes, talks about makeup, dating, and clothes, but does so in a modest, upstanding way. A magazine that would give girls an opportunity to write blurbs about their own life and faith, and see that other girls their age are going through the same struggles they might be going through. A magazine that discusses social issues, politics, and happenings in the world, in a manner that teen girls can understand. A magazine that's not boring, and still discusses everything girls care about, in a fashion that mothers aren't cringing over what their daughters are reading.

The title? Masterpiece. Because each girl reading that magazine is God's own masterpiece--His greatest creation. My theme verse would be those three at the top of this post (which I don't normally use the Message, but I love the way those verse are worded). And the tagline? Make each day your masterpiece.

This magazine would have a Christian basis, with topics that every high school girl cares about. In addition, my desire is to allow college girls to write for it (partially because I'm a college journalism major who can't find a job writing). That way older girls can give advice to younger girls. Politics and social issues would be featured in each issue, to enlighten girls on what is going on in the world.

So yes, that's the big dream I have and I'm trusting in God to lead me to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment