Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Because I Said So.

"Because I said so..."

The most used phrase any child ever hears. The phrase that I, for one, hated to hear growing up.

And now, those four words are four of the most common words I use at work.

"Why can't we play outside?"..."Because I said so."
"Why can't I swing on the monkey bars?"..."Because I said so."
"Why do I have to be in time out?"..."Because I said so."

I'm understanding why my parents used it so much. Stephen and I had a conversation about this the other day--why we use this phrase so much and why kids just don't get it.

This is how we see it:

When I am in charge of that group of children, however many they might be, they are MY children. I am responsible for them. I take care of them when they get hurt, I tie their shoes, I put them in time out, I give hugs, and wipe away tears. Even outside of work, I refer to them as my own children. I love them. Even after only being with them for a week, I've bonded with them and care for them. I feel the same way about the kids I babysit- those are my babies and I love them.

When they are doing something wrong or something they're not supposed to do, it is my responsibility to stop them. And when they ask why, my response is usually "Because I said so." But there's a lot implied in those four words.

1. Because I know what's best for you.
2. Because I don't want you to get hurt.
3. Because I care about your feelings.
4. Because I want you to become a better person.
5. Because I love you and care about you.





I know kids don't always understand that yes, I'm older, and I do have a pretty good (although vague) idea of what's best for them. They don't always understand that as mad as I can be at them (and I have been pretty mad at them) that I still love them a tremendous amount and want what's best for them. So when they ask why they have to do the things I instruct, my response is usually just "Because I said so."

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Megan to my world!! One of my almost 2 yr olds has learned, "Why"? My reply to her has been, "because i said." I have had to chuckle at my reply to her, I mean how many 20 month olds understand that, but that is just the automatic response to give.
    Oh well, I just found it humorous that you and I have the same things on our mind lately.
    Love Ya,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. first off, hi! i have no idea why it's taken me this long to find you in bloggy land...

    anywho. i use this phrase a lot at work (daycare) and i never understood how it was a legitimate answer until i started using it myself!

    ReplyDelete