I was reading Tricia Goyer's blog at http://girlsgodgoodlife.blogspot.com about "true love" and finding "Mr. Right." I think one of the biggest struggles for teenage girls is the desire to find their "true love." Someone who cherishes them, makes them feel beautiful, and love them. However, I think an even bigger struggle for teen girls is the willingness to settle for just any guy. To settle for the first guy that thinks they're pretty or gives them the time of day and this type of settling can lead to destructive relationships.
I was taught by Sunday School teachers and youth leaders growing up to pray for my future husband. To pray that he was staying pure for me, even though he did not know me. To pray for his heart that it would be ready to love someone like Christ commanded. To pray for his family and the people important to him, that they might encourage him to live a Christ-centered life. I could only hope that this guy out there would be praying for me too.
I didn't date in high school. Many people say that I made a big mistake by not going out with anybody. It's not like I didn't have any offers- there were a couple here and there, but quite frankly, I was never interested. Sure, I had crushes on a few guys (which were rarely returned...it always seemed like the guys I DIDN'T like expressed interest), but I never felt God telling me to act on them.
I'm a firm believer that God puts people in your path at the right time. Right when I thought I was becoming serious about one young man, God placed the most amazing guy I've ever met in my path (p.s. Stephen, that's you). After two dates with Stephen, all thoughts about the other guy were out the window. Looking back at that point, I know God gave me Stephen at the perfect time- He prevented the heartbreak that would have occurred with the other guy.
Being with Stephen for the past (almost) two years has taught me quite a bit about relationships. He's taught me what it means to love someone unconditionally, even when you really just want to strangle them. He's taught me what it means to be sacrificial, to go out of your way, or to take time out of your day. He's taught me what it means to love someone enough to stand up for them, because he's done it for me.
When I was reading Tricia Goyer's blog about finding "Mr. Right," I couldn't stop myself from answering "yes" or something positive to all of these questions.
1. How is his relationship with God?
2. Would your parents and youth pastor approve?
3. Do you have similar interests?
4. How does he treat his parents and siblings?
5. Does he date just to date, or is he looking for a special person?
6. Does his goals in life match yours?
7. Does he treat women with respect?
8. Would his personality continue to draw you over the years, even if his looks fade?
Looking back at my high school years, I'm glad I never settled. I'm glad I never kissed anyone else but this guy, that I never gave my heart to someone else. Stephen knows more about me than most of my friends do- He knows my dreams for the future, my short-term goals, my heart on many situations, and where I stand on many issues. We talk in-depth about the future, about our plans for a future together.
I wish I had the opportunity to encourage girls not to settle. To encourage them to pray for their future husbands. I prayed for mine and God exceeded all of my expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment