Okay, so I know that my blog post about the Mosque in Murfreesboro was harsh (See 7/17/2010). No, I'm not backing down from a word I said in it, but I realize the harsh, brusque manner of my tone in it.
I write this post expressing my love for this community. I would not have packed up and left my family and friends if I did not truly love Murfreesboro. But what scares me is the ignorance and inability to accept others for who they are.
In a country so diverse, you will always encounter people of other faiths. They do not share the same views, the same ideals, the same morals, or the same God. But nevertheless, they are people who deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.
Most people would agree that if one was to go overseas to an Islamic nation to proclaim the gospel, he or she would be fervently supported. The person traveling would be supported through prayers, financially, and through words of encouragement.
The Christian community of Murfreesboro has been given an incredible opportunity to share the gospel with the Islamic community. An opportunity where you don't have to go overseas, but drive down the street. An opportunity where you don't have to raise thousands of dollars to go, but just sit and talk with someone of another race and faith. But yes, an opportunity where prayer is the most important aspect.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I am not forgetting 9/11. I'm not forgetting the war overseas. In fact, I remember it quite well and think about it often. And that's why this opportunity is so important- this community needs to see the LOVE of Christ. God needs to be glorified through our words and actions when we approach this community.
By shunning a group of people, we are not sharing love. Never forget that we were once mere sinners that God showed grace and mercy to. We were once as evil and corrupt as the people who drove the airplane into the Twin Towers. But God showed His love and His mercy toward us and sent His one and only PRECIOUS son to die for us and to take our punishment. Never forget that it was US who deserved to be on that cross where Christ suffered.
We must never forget this when we look at a group of people who do not know Christ. We must look at our own sinful lives and remember how we do not deserve to be a part of the kingdom of God.
Give the Islamic community their center. No, you never have to agree with their faith. I don't. I know what a sinful fool I am and what a precious, beautiful SAVIOR I have. I know the grace that has been bestowed upon me. But by giving them their religious freedom, you yourself gain an opportunity to share the gospel through your testament of love.
Make this Islamic center your mission field. Make it an opportunity to share Christ, to proclaim the gospel, and to let other people know you are like them-- a dreadful sinner. Share your life--how God transformed your life by giving you His son, whom we were undeserving of.
I think things would be different these days if we all looked past our "perfect" lives and remembered that we were born dirty, rotten people. Remember the love your Savior has for you and the grace He has shown you.
I think it's about time we start showing grace and mercy to those who do not believe...
Peace Out...
literally.
No comments:
Post a Comment