Sunday, July 18, 2010

Growing Up.

Remember when you were six or seven years old and you believed you could be anything you wanted when you grew up? Our answers fell in the astronaut, fashion designer, fireman range. When we're young, we dream really big dreams thinking that we can truly do anything we want.

But then we grow up, and we start to understand what our talents and abilities are. We learn that a fear of heights might not be the best fear for an aspiring astronaut or pilot, and passing out at the sight of blood isn't a good sign for a prospective doctor. Failing Home Economics in high school may be a sign that fashion designing isn't the best choice and setting your microwave on fire and forgetting to call the fire department in seventh grade may be a sure sign that firefighting (or quite frankly, common sense) isn't your forte.

But we learn what we're good at and what we enjoy. We learn that our love of English and writing may mean we can be a journalist or an author. We learn that our love of numbers and math is leading us toward accounting. Our love for people and Christ may take us toward a career in ministry.

But just when did we stop dreaming the "impossible?" When did we stop believing we could do anything we wanted to do?

I'm standing on the brink of my future. I'm not about to "start my life"- my life has already started and I'm right in the middle of it. I'm making decisions each day that affect my immediate future.

I'm at a point in my life where I have to start deciding what's next- what's next in my relationships, in my education, in my career. I'm at a point in my life where I'm seriously talking about marriage (yes, Dad, the dreaded "m" word) with my boyfriend of two years. I'm at a point in my life where I am looking at grad schools and the requirements I have to meet these next three semesters to get in. I'm at a point where I'm willing to move wherever the Lord takes me after I graduate.

But I don't want to stop dreaming. I know I'll probably never be a columnist for The New York Times, but I can dream it. My own magazine may be in my future, and I will continue to dream about it and plan for it. I don't want to live my life by the book in the perfect little plan that's all mapped out. I want to continue to dream, to set goals, and consistently reach for the stars.

I know God has this marvelous plan laid out for me that I can only dream about--why should I question Him about what He's doing? I don't want to limit what He can possibly be doing in my life. I want to dream big, because my God IS BIG and He can do BIG things!

2 comments:

  1. I realize I'm a little behind on this, but very cool and very true. And, also, I remember that fire in the microwave incident ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The M word, Megan!! You probably just gave not only your dad, but papaw a heart attack. lol. You go girl!! You can do anything you want. I am so proud of you. I hope Hannah has the spirit of both her girl cousins, becasue the 2 of you have always been ALOT alike. Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete