Those who live in Murfreesboro, TN know about the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro being built. Actually, most people who don't live in Murfreesboro probably know about it due to the rampant news coverage and slanderous comments made by certain politicians.
There have been many protests made by Murfreesboro residents against the Islamic Center. "Christian" residents of Murfreesboro have paraded through the town square vocally expressing their opposition of the new mosque, singing "Amazing Grace" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" in the same setting.
I know 9/11 happened. I remember where I was sitting when I watched the towers fall. I know that we are searching for Bin Laden and I know that Saddam Hussein is now dead. I know that thousands of Americans died on September 11, 2001 and I know that thousands more men and women have risked their lives overseas fighting for our freedom.
But that's the thing...they're fighting for our FREEDOM.
Not just freedom for the white, upper middle-class families that have two kids, a dog, and two cars. Not just freedom for politicians to run their mouths. And especially not just freedom for Christians.
They are fighting for the same political and religious freedom that the Pilgrims were searching for when they came to America escaping the persecution in England. They are fighting for the same freedom that was included in the First Amendment of the Constitution-
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
So how in the world do the "Christian" residents of Murfreesboro think religious freedom only applies to them? The Islamic community, who have peacefully accepted all forms of criticism from the protesters, deserves the same amount of religious freedom that we do.
Yes, it was people of the Islamic faith that devastated our country, but it was just a few people. It wasn't every single person of their faith. You are inflicting punishment on an entire group of people for a crime that only a few committed.
It infuriates me to learn that the protesters stood singing "Amazing Grace" and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" during their protest. To think that a group of people sing that in order to shun another group. I hate to break this to you, Murfreesboro, but we are NOT a Christian city. Maybe we have some great churches, but the people in them do not resemble Christ at all if this is the attitude when something we don't agree with happens.
Christ commanded to love (Mark 12:30-31). Christ walked with the lepers, the people that were shunned from the community. We are treating the Islamic community like lepers, and shunning them from this community. Christ commanded us to make disciples of all nations (Mt. 28:19). And that includes our nations...but you can't share Christ with someone if you treat them like a leper.
When this community starts acting like the Christians they say they are, maybe I'll believe them. Supporting someone's religious freedom doesn't mean you agree with their faith. Until people can start living out their Christian faith, I'll choose to believe that those protesting against this mosque are just like the people that are persecuting Christians all around the world. Food for thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment