But here's what I dislike even more about politics: High schoolers (though the younger ones, i.e. freshman and sophomores, tend to be the culprits) who think they know everything about our politcal system and decide to make their opinions known on facebook.
Here's my blunt, rude statement. Let me just get this one out of the way, then I'll move on and be nice again.
Shut up. You can't vote. I doubt you understand everything that's going on anyways, so stop sounding stupid.
Okay, there, sorry. Now, moving on.
Politics are difficult. You have three branches (and I'm using American government as an example): the legislative, judicial, and executive. You learn about these in your U.S. government classes in middle and high school. I understand that most people know how a bill becomes a law, what the Bill of Rights is, and how many amendments are in the Constitution.
But it goes so much farther than that. We have the House of Representatives and the Senate. There are 50 Senate members--two members from every state. There are 435 House members--each state receives an amount of representatives that is proportionate to the population of their state.
But let's think about what's going on in politics today. We have our first African-American president, and the Health Care bill was just passed in the last week. But did you know that Health Care reform didn't start with President Obama? President Franklin D. Roosvelt first tried to pass a Healthcare reform bill in 1934, and failed. This wasn't President Obama's idea--he merely took the initiative to pass something that has been in the process for more than 50 years.
I understand that politics are difficult. I will never claim to be an expert, or even knowledgable at all in the area. Quite frankly, I know enough to get by on whatever test I have in my PolySci classes. But what bothers me is people's (and by people, I usually mean high schoolers) ignorance of the government. It's important to know just a little bit about what's going on. You're not always going to understand it. I'm still constantly asking my teachers questions about the Health Care bill, trying to gather as much information about it as I can. I have not yet formed an opinion on whether I approve of it or not, simply because I don't know enough about it.
I feel the problem is parents, or just our family and friends in general. If our parents hate one president, we're going to hate that president. If our parents vote Republican, we want to vote Republican. If our friends stand for one issue, we're going to stand for that issue. Have a mind of your own people! Think for yourself! A majority of my family is very strongly Republican. I'm not. (And Papa, I can see you right now shaking your head. Don't worry, I'm not democrat either).
It's okay to fall on both sides. I have many, many views that put me on the Republican side. My faith, morals, and upbringing lead to view things from a very conservative perspective. I'm pro-life (and when I say PRO-life, that means I'm against abortion AND the death penalty...how could you be against one and for the other?) and against gay marriage.
But, I believe in the social welfare for all people. I don't by any means believe I'm better than someone else, because I've grown up in white, middle-class suburbia. That shouldn't mean I receive more privileges or rights. I think everyone deserves an equal opportunity, and quite frankly, that puts me on a democratic side.
So I fall right in the middle. I have nothing bad to say about our President. To be honest, I'm not crazy about him. That's the truth. But I know what God has commanded of me, and I'll end with that:
"Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"
He saw through their duplicity and said to them, "Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?"
"Caesar's," they replied.
He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."
--Luke 20:22-25
"Make the Master proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of the fools who think you're a danger to society. Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government."-1 Peter 2:14-17 (Message)
No comments:
Post a Comment