I'm really thankful that I was raised by a family that told me I was pretty or beautiful. I'm thankful that I was taught that I was made in the image of God, and I don't have to be perfect. I'm thankful for friends that are beautiful with or without makeup and perfect clothing, and I'm thankful that we continue to build each other up. I'm thankful for a boyfriend that tells me I'm beautiful when I feel like I've been hit by a truck.
What's sad is that most people don't have those things to be thankful for. Most people are overly-concerned with appearances, beauty, perfection, etc. And what's worse is that the media has distorted our image of "beauty." The world no longer sees beauty as a kind spirit, loving smile, and caring eyes.
Beauty today is big breasts, size 2 jeans, and hair that always stays in place.
If that's beauty, then I'm in BIG trouble.
Because never in a million years will I be a size two. I'm pretty sure my chest is going to stay the size it is. And the hair? It's usually pulled back or in a ponytail.
But I DON'T CARE.
Yes, I will usually be wearing makeup when I go somewhere. Yes, I like to look nice. Yes, I care about my appearance. But am I going to kill myself over it? No.
Take this recent publicity over The Hills star Heidi Montag. My heart breaks for her, because of the massive amounts of plastic surgery she's underwent to look perfect.
Photo courtesy of People Magazine.
What's sad is that most people don't have those things to be thankful for. Most people are overly-concerned with appearances, beauty, perfection, etc. And what's worse is that the media has distorted our image of "beauty." The world no longer sees beauty as a kind spirit, loving smile, and caring eyes.
Beauty today is big breasts, size 2 jeans, and hair that always stays in place.
If that's beauty, then I'm in BIG trouble.
Because never in a million years will I be a size two. I'm pretty sure my chest is going to stay the size it is. And the hair? It's usually pulled back or in a ponytail.
But I DON'T CARE.
Yes, I will usually be wearing makeup when I go somewhere. Yes, I like to look nice. Yes, I care about my appearance. But am I going to kill myself over it? No.
Take this recent publicity over The Hills star Heidi Montag. My heart breaks for her, because of the massive amounts of plastic surgery she's underwent to look perfect.
Photo courtesy of People Magazine.I don't know about you, but I don't really see anything wrong with her in the BEFORE picture. In reality, she looks like most girls aspire to be in the first picture. But the second? What has she done?
This is what society has become, and it's sad.
So, in case no one's told you lately...
you're beautiful.
♥
This is what society has become, and it's sad.
So, in case no one's told you lately...
you're beautiful.
♥
I really like this, Megan. It's well written, poignant and accurate. I agree with every word of it as well and wish that every girl could see that media images of women (particularly in the fashion industry) are not realistic or even healthy.
ReplyDeletePerspective: I'm 5'9" and weigh 145 lbs, giving me a BMI of 21.4 (which is within the healthy rang of 18.5-24.9). The average fashion model is about my height and weighs in at a mere 108 to 125 lbs (125 lbs. for my height = 18.5 BMI, on the cusp of being underweight, and 108 lbs. = a sickly 15.5). This is not healthy!